Grilling season is not just for hot dogs, burgers or steak. Grilling veggies turns your boring veggies into something special. Quinoa with Roasted Veggies is a good example!
We really like to take advantage of our grilling season here in the midwest. Yep, we sometimes grill in the winter when the snow is not covering it but now I prefer to make most of our meals outside. Grilling veggies is one of the easiest things to do. It does really help, so you don’t lose any down the grate, is to have a grilling rack. These fit on top of your grill and have small holes to let the heat through and cook your veggies.
- 2 cups prepared quinoa (I used tri-colored and followed package directions)
- 1 cup asparagus cut diagonally into 1″ pieces
- 1 red pepper cut into cubes
- 1 medium zucchini cut into 1″ slices then cut into fourths
- Olive oil
- Fresh lemon
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat your grill and place a smaller grate on top
- Add veggies and cook until crisp tender
- Combine with cooked quinoa, drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and squeeze a bit of lemon on top
- Season with salt and pepper as desired
While this is good on it’s own, I did grill up some shrimp to serve on top to make it a complete meal. I wish I had the shrimp to show you but that disappeared quick! I just sprinkled the raw shrimp with a seasoning blend and grilled in the same rack when the veggies were done. The only ‘house’ item was making the quinoa. Everything else was done on the grill… no fuss and no muss!
Feel free to add whatever veggies you like too.
Remember this time of year you can get lots of fresh veggies from your local farmer’s market – I can’t wait to go on Saturday for the first time this year.
If you are looking for some great recipes featuring Farmer’s Market Produce, here’s a great board to follow from Marcie at Flavor the Moments.