I’m happy to be able to share this Lemon Chicken Stew with you today. It almost didn’t happen – I was just starting to write this when the electricity went out around 10 tonight. We are in the midst of a bad winter storm – heavy wet snow and the winds are picking up. Luckily it wasn’t out for long! Or maybe I shouldn’t wait until last minute to do things 🙂
But let’s not talk about the weather – it is what it is and I’m just glad we booked a trip to FL soon to visit family! We can talk about how this stew would be perfect not just for us cold midwest folks but for any type of weather. It’s chocked full of veggies, boneless chicken thighs and orzo pasta. And you can have this on your table in about 40 minutes.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 16 ounces boneless chicken thighs cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- In a dutch oven heat 2 T oil over medium high heat.
- Combine the flour, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper then drop in the chicken pieces and coat. Place chicken in a mesh strainer and shake off the excess
- Place about half of the chicken in hot pot and cook for about 2 minutes on each side then remove; add 2 T oil and repeat with remaining chicken
- Add the last tablespoon of oil to pot and saute carrots, celery and onion for 4 minutes then add leeks and garlic for another 2 minutes
- Add broth and water cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add chicken and orzo and cook an additional 10 minutes
- Add the lemon juice in last and adjust seasonings as desired
And of course for me it doesn’t hurt that this recipe has lemons. While the DIY Guy is not a huge fan of lemons, he really liked this stew. Probably because it had one of his favs, dark chicken meat, so this was a win-win for us both!
Ok, I should finish this now just in case our electricity goes out again! I wasn’t too prepared – but at least my cell phone provided some light!!