Make and serve this tasty Italian Style Skillet Dinner soon! It is full of flavor and sure to hit spot any night of the week. Less clean up too!
Buongiorno! I have fond memories of waking up at my grandmother's house and hearing those words! She spoke perfect English but migrated to the states in the 1930's when she only spoke Italian. I used to love to listen to her talk to my mom, they would start in English and drift to Italian and back to English. I was always lost in translation! This lower calorie dish called Petti di Pollo con Verdure e Riso or as us non-Italian readers would call it, Breast of Chicken with Vegetables and Rice, reminded me of her.
I originally shared ecipe this dish over at Jamie's place (Love Bakes Good Cakes) as part of the #EatHealthy15 series that has been going on this past month
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts cut in 1" pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- 10 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup uncooked long grain rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- parsley for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until hot but not burning then add chicken and quickly brown then lower heat to medium
- Add garlic and onion and saute until onion is translucent
- Add red pepper, mushrooms and zucchini - saute 5 minutes (if needed add a bit more olive oil)
- Add the seasonings, chicken broth and wine then stir in rice
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes uncovered until the rice is "tender-firm".
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped fresh parsley
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 408mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 20g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.