I’m pulling an oldie but goodie out of the vault today to share just in time for Cinco de Mayo or any time you need a quick appetizer. These Shrimp Cocktail Shooters are so easy to prepare and make a disappearing act as soon as they are put out! I first made these for my daughter’s bridal shower five years ago. Well, I actually think one of my good friends made them for me but I know I provided the recipe 🙂 And while you can certainly just have a bowl of the cocktail sauce with the shrimp served around it, I think these little cups provide an elegant look. So would you like one shot or two?
It’s hard to believe its been five years since our oldest got married. In that time, they’ve had two children (our cutie 2 1/2 year old granddaughter Emily and our 4 month old little man Alex). We’ve been enjoying their family so much and glad they are only a hop, skip and a jump away (about 90 minutes). We tend to visit about every other weekend cuz Nana and Papa go through withdrawal if it is longer than that! Emily keeps us hopping playing horsey with Papa and it is really cute when she calls him Papa John. When I’m not cuddling with Alex, her and I might be doing arts and crafts or playing with her “people” as she calls them. The people consist of those little Fischer Price ones or an old Flintstone set that belonged to her mama! A lot sure has transpired in those years!
These shooters were a hit at the shower and if you want, double the cocktail sauce recipe and add two shrimps per glass. I also took the easy way out and bought pre-cooked shrimp from our local grocer’s seafood counter. I just couldn’t wait to get these assembled and serve for dinner tonight. Then guess what? After taking pictures, I put back in the refrigerator and forgot to take them out! I guess we’ll enjoy them tomorrow.
Shrimp Cocktail Shooters
Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 oz. Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 oz. tomato paste
- 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz. mafalda pasta
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Crumble the sausage and brown for 5 minutes.
- Add onions and saute for 5 minutes then add the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Add in the tomato paste mixing it in well. Cook for 3 minutes (the paste will turn a rusty brown color)
- Next add in the tomatoes, bay leaves and chicken stock. Combine and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat then simmer mixture for 30 minutes
- Add in basil and season with salt and pepper
- Cook pasta separately (see notes in blog post) while soup is simmering.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and salt and set aside
- When ready to serve, add in the pasta and stir well
- Place in each bowl about 2 tablespoons ricotta mixture 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese
- Ladle soup over top and stir to combine
- Stir and enjoy!