Happy tax day (or maybe not!) – well, I guess you have until Monday to file but if you already have your taxes done, how about celebrating with this Lemon Pound Cake. It’s bursting full of flavor, so moist and perfect to snack on. And hey, it’s been about a month since I shared a lemon recipe and you know I love my citrus! I didn’t want you to go through withdrawal 🙂
How was your week? Looking forward to the weekend? As I mentioned on my last post, we were vacationing in Florida visiting family. The time went by really quick but were so lucky that all the days were sunny and warm! My sister-in-law and I were able to get to the beach for a couple days where we rented a couple chairs and just relaxed. When we were hungry for lunch, we walked over to the boardwalk, grabbed something quick and headed back to our chairs. The only thing we had to deal with was the red tide. If you aren’t familiar with that, it’s an algae bloom that causes some people to cough and not too kind to the fish. I was OK with it and did see some fish on the beach but it was only on the first day. Nothing was going to stop me from heading to the beach as it’s my favorite thing to do. This pasty white Minnesota body needed to soak up some vitamin D and get a little glow. Mission accomplished!
Hope you enjoy this pound cake recipe as much as we did! It’s the perfect recipe to have on hand for yourself or if you have guests. I’m hoping our Florida family will come to visit us sometime (hey, it’s warmer now) and I’ll be serving them this tasty treat!
Lemon Pound Cake
Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 oz. Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 oz. tomato paste
- 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz. mafalda pasta
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Crumble the sausage and brown for 5 minutes.
- Add onions and saute for 5 minutes then add the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Add in the tomato paste mixing it in well. Cook for 3 minutes (the paste will turn a rusty brown color)
- Next add in the tomatoes, bay leaves and chicken stock. Combine and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat then simmer mixture for 30 minutes
- Add in basil and season with salt and pepper
- Cook pasta separately (see notes in blog post) while soup is simmering.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and salt and set aside
- When ready to serve, add in the pasta and stir well
- Place in each bowl about 2 tablespoons ricotta mixture 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese
- Ladle soup over top and stir to combine
- Stir and enjoy!
Remember to share 🙂
Other lemons recipes you might enjoy