TGIF with a totally kid friendly (and adult) Red Velvet Milkshake! I’ve had this one in the vault for a bit and I’m pulling it out today because, well, I haven’t been feeling up to par this week and haven’t been up to doing a whole lot! You may remember my post a couple days ago where I made muffins and it took two tries since I messed up the recipe the first time. I originally thought I just had a bad cold but ended up going to our employee clinic and found I have pneumonia. That is definitely a first for me on that one but I’m on the mends now with some antibiotic medications. Luckily I have this recipe to share with you because right now I could definitely go for one of these! It is cool, creamy, tasty and calling my name and hopefully yours too!
I’m kinda glad I know what I have – everyone has been talking about these colds that last about 2-3 weeks but something was nagging at me (maybe women’s intuition) that it might be something more. I’m hoping to feel back to myself in a couple days. Ok, enough of this sickness talk! Let’s move onto recipes – I have some recipes I want to make soon including a lemon cookie that I think would be perfect for Easter. Stay tuned for that next week.
Speaking of Easter, I was thinking this shake could work for that. Still make the shake per the recipe below but how about some light green, light yellow or light purple jimmies? Then on the side you could add a colored peep! And maybe if you are like me, you have enough colored straws to find the perfect one! These would look pretty festive and be a great treat for the kiddos (and, oh yes, adults too!)
Red Velvet Milkshake
Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 oz. Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 oz. tomato paste
- 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz. mafalda pasta
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Crumble the sausage and brown for 5 minutes.
- Add onions and saute for 5 minutes then add the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Add in the tomato paste mixing it in well. Cook for 3 minutes (the paste will turn a rusty brown color)
- Next add in the tomatoes, bay leaves and chicken stock. Combine and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat then simmer mixture for 30 minutes
- Add in basil and season with salt and pepper
- Cook pasta separately (see notes in blog post) while soup is simmering.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and salt and set aside
- When ready to serve, add in the pasta and stir well
- Place in each bowl about 2 tablespoons ricotta mixture 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese
- Ladle soup over top and stir to combine
- Stir and enjoy!