Get ready to have your socks knocked off this this Apple Almond Poppy Seed Salad. This salad has it all and I had a really hard time coming up with its name since as you can see it has apples, glazed almonds, poppy seed dressing along with red onions, bleu cheese, mandarin oranges, celery, pasta and oh ya the lettuce it is all nestled in! Lots of ingredients, lots of flavor and not lots of leftovers! And the prep part you may ask is only about 15 minutes to get this beauty on the table. Grab a fork and dig into this amazing salad. Your taste buds will not know what hit them. (And if you think of a better name, let me know!)
If you read my post last week about the cheeseball appetizer, then you know we went to some friends for the weekend and I had left that at home by mistake. That was a major bummer BUT the other dish I brought that I didn’t forget was the ingredients for this salad. And honestly if I had to choose between the two, this salad wins hands down. It was a huge hit, with folks going back for seconds. The creamy poppy seed dressing with a bit of honey and dijon mustard pairs perfectly with the rest of the ingredients. I especially love how crunchy it is with the apples, almonds and celery. And if you have never tried pasta in a salad, it is time to start! It looks fun and adds another dimension.
Remember lettuce is just a base and you can create your own beauty with your favorite ingredients. Other ingredients that I may try in the future is candied pecans, gorgonzola cheese, orzo pasta, green onions, strawberries or other fruit. Just use your imagination but keep the poppy seed dressing – it is a winner for sure!
Crunchy Apple Almond Salad
Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 oz. Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 oz. tomato paste
- 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz. mafalda pasta
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Crumble the sausage and brown for 5 minutes.
- Add onions and saute for 5 minutes then add the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Add in the tomato paste mixing it in well. Cook for 3 minutes (the paste will turn a rusty brown color)
- Next add in the tomatoes, bay leaves and chicken stock. Combine and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat then simmer mixture for 30 minutes
- Add in basil and season with salt and pepper
- Cook pasta separately (see notes in blog post) while soup is simmering.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and salt and set aside
- When ready to serve, add in the pasta and stir well
- Place in each bowl about 2 tablespoons ricotta mixture 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese
- Ladle soup over top and stir to combine
- Stir and enjoy!
Creamy poppy seed dressing
Time to dig in!
Another salad you might like