As January is starting to come to a close, there are still two things I’ve been pursuing this month. One is trying to stay warm (hmmm, no brainer as I live in Minnesota!) and the other is continuing to eat on the healthier side. I’ve been doing pretty good and hope to continue into the next month and beyond. It’s a habit I want to keep in 2016! So today I’m sharing a new healthy Sweet Potato & Black Bean soup as part of the Eat Healthy 16 series where several bloggers have been posting healthier recipes all month – Jamie from Love Bakes Good Cakes (where you will find this recipe), Brianne from Cupcakes and Kale Chips, and Jenny from The Melrose Family. Eating lighter doesn’t mean you need to skip on flavor and this soup has it all! We are also giving away an awesome gift of a Blendtec 725 (Valued over $750)
I decided to try this recipe on a night when the DIY Guy was gone (since it was meatless) and invite over a couple fun gal pals who are always game to try something new in my kitchen (just as long as it isn’t fish – Oh, I totally agree on that one!). We were chit chatting as I was making the soup catching up with each other and our families which was great. Soon the soup was done and I served up three bowls and we sat done to eat. Here is where it gets a bit interesting. The soup flavor is really fantastic – the spice on the other hand was a bit 5 alarm. I followed the recipe exactly and I guess it is just a spicy soup! Note that I did cut all the spices in half. By all means if you love it hot hot hot, then just double the spices. I’m pretty sure the culprit was the cayenne pepper!
If you did want to please that meat eater at your place, add in some cooked chicken for protein. I think next time I’ll have some ready on the side for John 🙂
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup
Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 oz. Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 oz. tomato paste
- 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz. mafalda pasta
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Crumble the sausage and brown for 5 minutes.
- Add onions and saute for 5 minutes then add the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Add in the tomato paste mixing it in well. Cook for 3 minutes (the paste will turn a rusty brown color)
- Next add in the tomatoes, bay leaves and chicken stock. Combine and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat then simmer mixture for 30 minutes
- Add in basil and season with salt and pepper
- Cook pasta separately (see notes in blog post) while soup is simmering.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and salt and set aside
- When ready to serve, add in the pasta and stir well
- Place in each bowl about 2 tablespoons ricotta mixture 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese
- Ladle soup over top and stir to combine
- Stir and enjoy!
Be sure to enter to win the blender!
If you are looking for more soups, here are a couple of our favs: