Do you have a favorite kitchen appliance? Do you keep it out so you see it and use it? I love my ice cream maker but sadly I don’t use it enough. But I’m about to change that by experimenting with some new recipes this year. I bought a Cuisinart a couple years ago just because I thought I needed one and up until now, well, I’ve made about 3 ice cream recipes (and all vanilla!) Today is number 4 and it tastes fantastic – a carrot cake in an ice cream form.
You might have noticed that last week I made Carrot Cake Muffins… I must have carrots on the brain. Probably because it is getting closer to Easter and think these type of treats would go perfect for holiday entertaining.
Carrot Cake Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup pureed carrots (use baby food or cook your own and blend until smooth)
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (either light or dark)
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, heat 1 cup of the heavy cream with the brown sugar until it becomes hot but not boiling.
- Whisk in the gelatin until it is incorporated then add the raisins and cream cheese. Continue to stir and heat for about 4 minutes stirring the entire time until the cream cheese is melted
- Remove from heat and pour hot mixture into a large glass bowl. Add coconut extract, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt.
- Whisk in the remaining heavy cream and carrot
- Chill in refrigerator for 1-2 hours; stir then process in an ice cream maker following directions with you machine.
- Add pecans near the end of the process.
- This ice cream is super creamy and soft when it is first made. I actually think it tastes best like this and not when frozen solid. I kept mine in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving so it remained creamy.
You will love how creamy this ice cream is and note (above) that I think it really tastes best when not frozen solid. I’m a soft cone kind of gal.
And in case you missed them last week, here are the Carrot Cake Muffins.
And here is my ice cream making attempt – Vanilla but hey everything is awesome with sprinkles!