It’s still apple picking season here at our homestead and luckily I got a request from the DIY Guy’s co-workers for an apple treat. I could have made a pie or maybe some apple crisp, but this Caramel Apple Oatmeal Crumb Bars recipe I found sounded great for bring-your-wife’s-dessert-to-work-day!
As I was about to get started, I sadly realized I didn’t have any caramels in the house but being the trouper he is (and of course an ulterior motive too), off to Target he went for a bag. It took a bit of looking but he finally came home and these bars were in the oven in no time!
Caramel Apple Oatmeal Crumb Bars
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cups shortening
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups coarsely peeled apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbl flour
- 14 oz bag of caramels (unwrapped)
- Light corn syrup (1 tbl)
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a large bowl combine the brown sugar, butter and shortening then add in the 1 3/4 c flour, oats, salt and baking soda - mix until crumbly
- Remove 2 cups of mixture then press the remaining in an ungreased 13x9 pan.
- In a medium bowl toss the apples with the 3 T flour and cinnamon then spread evenly over pan
- Heat the caramels over low heat in a small sauce pan. Add a bit of light corn syrup to thin out the sauce and stir until melted
- Pour over apples then sprinkle with remaining oat mixture; press down lightly and then bake for 25-30 minutes
- Top should be golden brown and apples tender.
- While bars are still warm (not hot) cut into desired size bars.
- Keep stored in refrigerator
And just to make sure they were worthy to bring in, we had a couple samples… yep, they were good to go!
Speaking of apples, we picked another bushel and a half this past weekend…. soooo if you are ever in my neck of the woods, be sure to stop by and I will happily give you some to take home!
Another apple dessert you might enjoy!