We love our cookies around here – well I like to bake and the DIY Guys likes to eat them (though I’m known to eat a couple!) So today you can thank him for these Chocolate Chunk Toasted Coconut and Pecan Cookies.
We’ve he has been a kick lately to use up what’s in our pantry, freezer and refrigerator. I tend to forget what I have and buy more of the same things. I really need a better system of keeping track… if you have one, let me know! So one day he finds a bag of opened flaked coconut – it’s kind of on its last leg. By itself it wouldn’t be great but toasted – hmmmm, yes, that was the solution!
Chocolate Chunk Toasted Coconut Cookies
3DOZEN 15 MINUTES 11 MINUTES
Chocolate cookies with the added bonus of toasted coconut and pecans - flavor galore!
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup toasted pecans (rough chopped)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 stick of soft butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (I used 60%) chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350
- To toast coconut - place on a large baking sheet and place in oven. After about 5 minutes stir and continue stirring about every minute until it is light brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until blended
- In a large bowl add the brown sugar and butter; beating with a mixer until well blended then add in eggs and vanilla - beat until mixed well
- Add flour mixture on the lowest speed of your mixer and only until just combined then stir in toasted coconut, pecans and chocolate.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a walnut size of dough on paper about 2" apart
- Bake for 11 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Note: to toast pecans, place in small frying pan over low heat; stir until light brown
So there you have it and what to do with your last-leg coconut. I wonder what he will find next? Stayed tuned and I sure hope it isn’t a can of spam!! Though I think the shelf life on that is pretty long – hehe…
Another chocolate chip cookie recipe