Welcome to the Secret Recipe Club Reveal Day! Let’s just say I was pretty excited with my assigned blogger this month – Helen from Miz Helen’s Country Cottage and I’m happy to be sharing today her Irish Blackberry Crumble Cake.
Miz Helen was one of the first blogs that I discovered when I started blogging. I loved how welcoming she was and me, not being from the south, was introduced to some southern dishes along with some family history. That why I selected this recipe – she talks about memories of going to her Irish grandparents and picking blackberries which is a tradition she carries on with her grandchildren. I love seeing traditions passed on from generation to generation.
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup cooking oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- Mix 1/2 cup of sugar with the cinnamon and nutmeg, mix well
- Toss the berries in the dry mix and set aside for 20 minutes
- Mix the brown sugar and oats together and set aside
- Mix 1 cup sugar with the flour,salt and baking powder together
- Add the milk to the flour and sugar mix and stir until blended well
- Butter a 9X11 baking dish and pour the milk and flour mix into the dish
- Place the sugared and seasoned blackberries on top of the batter
- Top the berries with the oat and brown sugar mixture
- Top the oat and brown sugar mixture with the butter pieces
- Bake at 350 degrees 30 to 45 minutes until golden brown on top and the berries are bubbling up
I followed this recipe exactly and did not substitute any ingredients – the only difference is that I divided it up in 6 small casserole dishes. I love the idea of having individual desserts and my family did too. The recipe above makes a 9×11 pan.
Since my daughter was visiting and had to leave early today we ended up having our dessert for breakfast! You will love how easy this comes together and how tasty it is! I know this one recipe that it a keeper to be be made again and again! Great recipe Miz Helen!
If you want to see more of Miz Helen’s recipes, click here and be sure to stop by her place on Thursday evenings to link up to her Full Plate party.
Be sure to check out the other recipes!