Any quinoa eaters out there? Today I’m sharing a Mediterranean Quinoa Salad – this dish is perfect on its own or served along side with some chicken kabobs for a complete meal.
I first tried quinoa about a year ago and decided I liked it. It’s a grain that is high in protein, cholesterol-free and low-fat. What I like is how it adapts to whatever flavors you choose to combine it with. Previously I tried Asian flavors – pea pods, red peppers, carrots and an Asian type dressing. This one was fashioned from Greek flavors. I’m a huge fan of kalamata olives and feta cheese. Adding some fresh dill also jazzes it up a bit!
- 1 cup quinoa well rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (red and yellow) cut in half
- 1 cup diced english (or regular) cucumber
- 2 tablespoons red onion diced
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives halved
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 15 ounces chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 clove minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- Cook the quinoa by bringing it to boil with the water then turn heat to low, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes). Let stand for 5 minutes covered then fluff with fork and cool to room temperature (this can be done by refrigerating about 15 minutes)
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, kalamata olives, chickpeas, feta cheese and dill; add cooled quinoa
- In a small food processor combine the lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, garlic and S&P
- Pour over salad and mix well – can be served at room temp or refrigerated
To make this DIY Guy friendly (aka meat!), I cubed boneless chicken, marinaded it in Greek Vinaigrette dressing for an hour, skewered them and grilled for about 10 minutes. I also bought some tzatziki dressing and pita bread. He really enjoyed it! Opa!
Another quinoa salad to enjoy