This past week the area I work in had a mini muffin contest as a fundraiser for United Way. I eagerly signed up to help out – it was for a good cause. There were about 7 bakers and we were required to all make something different. Besides these Lemon Poppy Seed muffins, we had orange, apple crumble, blueberry, pumpkin, chocolate chip and a savory one with ham. People made a good will offering, sample them and then voted on a winner. One of my co-workers won with her apple crumble muffins – they were great!
We made about $275 and everyone enjoyed the event.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2/3 cup sugar
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- lemon curd
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line mini muffins pans with small cupcake papers.
- 2. Mix well the sugar and lemon zest - really rubbing it together.
- 3. In a large bowl combine the sugar mixture, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 4. In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract, and butter.
- 5. With a spatula mix the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture. When almost all combined, add in the poppy seeds.
- 6. Fill mini cups 1/2 full then add a small dollop of lemon curd, top with more batter until cup is 3/4 full. Bake for 12 minutes and let cool on wire rack.
- 7. Making glaze by combining powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over muffins.
Beside this fundraiser, we will be having a fall bazaar.
At the fall bazaar, my administrator and I will raffle off a dinner that will be made and served at my house. Last year the dinner went for $200! Click on this link to see the complete meal we made. I’m looking forward to seeing what the bids will be this year!
Another muffin recipe you might like – Blueberry Lemon