Head to your local Farmer’s Market and then come home to make this Fresh Corn Chowder Soup.
Summer produce is really putting on a show! This past Saturday I went to our local Farmer’s market and came home with the most colorful, freshest and mouthwatering veggies. I wandered from stand to stand buying a little bit here and there to spread the love to our local producers! One of the most popular places with the biggest line with the corn man…. I got 14 ears for $5. I thought that was a good deal.
In addition, I bought some eggplant, tomatoes, lettuce, cukes, and mint. You might be wondering why all the produce – well the occasion was the DIY Guy’s birthday which was this past Sunday. We had invited some friends over for dinner and I wanted to make a few of his favorite dishes. (more on those throughout the week).
While chowder might be considered a fall or winter dish, there is nothing like fresh corn that is slightly charred on the grill to kick it up a notch! Also, you may decide to roast your own red peppers or buy the jarred (I did jarred this time).
Fresh Corn Chowder
- 7 ears fresh corn, husked
- 3/4 jarred roasted peppers, chopped (be sure to drain well on paper towels)
- 3 bacon slices, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced potatoes (you can leave skins on)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1. Turn on grill and grill corn (spry with PAM first) until slightly charred but still crisp-tender (about 15 minutes). Place corn in covered container and keep until needed.
- 2. Sauté bacon in large dutch oven until just crisp then add butter and onion and sauté until onion is soft and pale about 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle flour and cook 2 minutes stirring constantly
- 3. Gradually add in broth and potatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes or until soft
- 4. Cut corn off cobs then add to broth along with roasted peppers and heavy cream. Season with S&P. Simmer (very low) until slightly thickened – about 15-20 minutes
This was a hit with John and our friends….
Stay tuned for our other menu items! Happy Birthday John…. and as I’m typing he’s playing with his gift – a new Garmin that has voice control… he’s like a kid in a candy store!!