Today I have two recipes to share with you – both Greek inspired. I like gyros but only if they are made with chicken – yes, I know that is not the traditional method but it is more to my liking. Even when I went to Greece a few years ago I opted for a chicken version… and another ingredient you will find in your gyros in Greece are french fries and surprisingly they are very good that way!
I liked this recipe because it was very easy to prepare – the chicken in marinaded for about an hour in a lemon based sauce and then the chicken strips are grilled. Toppings can be to your choosing but we had tomatoes, red onions and tzatziki sauce (if you live by a Trader Joe’s I highly recommend buying theirs – it is a time saver and delicious).
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 T olive oil
- 1 tsp minced shallots
- 1/2 t ground stone mustard
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 1 lb boneless chicken cut into strips
- pita bread
- red onions
- tzatziki sauce (store bought)
- 1. In a small processor combine the lemon juice, mustard, shallots and oregano and turn on, slowly add the olive oil to combine; place ½ of marinade in a large and add chicken. Place in refrigerator for at least an one.
- 2. Take the chicken out of the marinade and cook on grill until done.
- 3. Heat the pita bread slightly on grill
- 4. Make a sandwich on the pita bread with the chicken, sliced tomatoes, sliced red onions and drizzle the tzatziki sauce on top
In keeping with the Greek theme, I made an orzo salad. I love the fresh ingredients especially the fresh dill. This combo for dinner was so delicious – I wish we had some baklava to go with it! That would have been perfect!!
Greek Orzo Salad
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 T olive oil
- 1 T minced shallot
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- S&P to taste
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 T chopped fresh dill
- 2 T minced red onion
- 1/2 diced seeded cucumber
- large red pepper roasted and diced (store bought)
- 1/2 cup chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1. Cook orzo according to directions, rinse in cold water and drain well
- 2. In a small food processor combine the lemon juice, shallot, oregano, sugar and S&P – turn on and then slowly drizzle in olive oil until well combined.
- 3. In large bowl combine orzo, feta cheese, dill, red onion, cucumber, pepper and chickpeas.
- 4. Add the dressing and gently toss to combine. This could be served right away or refrigerated.
Hope you enjoy these recipes and would love to know what you think. Opa!