You say it’s your birthday – Happy Birthday to ya! Today is a very special day as we celebrate Meghan’s birthday from The Tasty Fork! I met Meghan through one of the giveaways I recently participated in and she had asked some of us if we wanted to “make” her a special treat to celebrate. I was happy to oblige and decided to make her a fun, patriotic* and easy dessert!
Patriotic Berry Tart
- 1 sheet phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 egg beaten
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 confectionery sugar
- 1 lemon zested
- assorted berries
- 1/3 cup apple jelly
- 1 T light corn syrup
- 1. Preheat oven to 375.
- 2. Roll dough on a floured surface to a 10x12” rectangle then place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Lightly score with a sharp knife 1” around the edge of the dough; brush edge with egg and then sprinkle with sugar
- 3. Bake until golden brown about 18-22 minutes. (center will puff up)
- 4. Remove from oven and lightly score the edge again making sure not to cut through bottom of dough
- 5. Press down the center with a big spatula or an oven mitt – let cool completely
- 6. In a medium bowl beat the mascarpone cheese, heavy cream, confectionery sugar and lemon zest.
- 7. Spread carefully onto cooled crust the place berries in whatever pattern you would like…
- 8. In a small bowl combine the apple jelly and corn syrup – heat in microwave until it is smooth but not very hot
- 9. Brush on fruit
- 10. Cut and serve
*Not only is it her birthday, it is also Flag Day so it seemed appropriate to make this novelty-type pastry tart. With the 4th of July coming up, put this one on your list too!
Meghan I hope you have a great birthday and if you are in the area, stop by for a piece; otherwise I know a guy in my house who wouldn’t mind having yours! Thanks for inviting me to participate!