Recently my June Cooking Light magazine came and the cover alone made me excited to check it out. So fresh looking with tomatoes, corn and grilled chicken on a pretty plate. I quickly came upon this recipe that I knew I wanted to try pronto! The main ingredients are penne pasta, baby heirloom cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and fresh parsley with just a bit of olive oil…. oh and peas too, but if you aren’t a fan, you could leave those out. The final product is topped with shaved parmesan cheese.
While it isn’t tomato season here yet, I was able to get what I wanted at my local Trader Joe’s – one of my favorite grocery stops. I find the fresh ingredients I am looking for and they have a great cheese section. My favorite item is their virgin olive oil… great price and flavor.
I also loved how quick and easy this was – from start to finish only 20 minutes. So when you get home from work and want a quick, easy and healthy recipe, give this one a try!
Pasta with Herbs and Tomatoes
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 cloves sliced garlic
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t fresh pepper
- 1/3 cup thin sliced basil
- 2 T chopped fresh parsley
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook the penne and during the last 2 minutes add the peas; drain
- 2. In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat then add the garlic and sauté until it begins to brown.
- 3. Increase the heat then add the tomatoes and cook for about 90 seconds.
- 4. Add the pasta, peas S&P to skillet and cook until heated through – about 3 minutes
- 5. Lastly add in basil and parsley – serve with cheese sprinkled on top