Here’s the meal I made from last weekend – Chicken Wellington with a Creamy Mushroom Sauce. It is a little putzy to make but the end result is worth the wait! I’ve made this a couple times and it seems to get easier each time
Four ounce chicken breasts are cooked about 3-4 minutes on each side seasoned with salt and pepper. It doesn’t matter if they are aren’t quite cooked through as they will finish baking in the oven.
Once the chicken is done and cooled a bit, take puff pastry sheets and roll out into a 14″x14″ square and cut into fourths. Top each breast with a mixture of cream cheese and Dijon mustard and then top with a mushroom, onion and garlic mixture.
Brush water on the edges, wrap and pinch the edges and place seam side down on a baking sheet
Brush with an egg wash and bake for about 20 minutes at 350 or until golden brown. Serve with the mushroom sauce that comes with the recipe….. I’m also thinking you could probably turn this into a Cordon Bleu by adding swiss cheese and ham – eliminating the mushroom and cream cheese mixture – maybe I’ll try that next time!
Side note: I’ve also made this about 2 hours ahead of time (pre-cooked). If you do that, just cover the pastry with saran wrap to make sure it doesn’t dry out. I’ve even put the egg wash on before doing that….results seem to be the same.
Prep Time to Table: 90 minutes
Recipe : unknown from web
-2 sheets puff pastry
-8 (4 oz.) boneless chicken
-2 T butter
-2 T olive oil
-1 lg onion diced
-1 T minced garlic
-8 oz. thinly sliced mushrooms
-2 T fresh minced parsley
-8 oz. light cream cheese
-2 T Dijon mustard
-1 egg slightly beaten
-3 cups sliced mushrooms
-2 T butter
-1/4 cup flour
-1/4 cup butter
-1 ½ cup chicken broth
-1/2 cup dry white wine
-1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Season chicken with S&P; heat butter and oil in pan and brown chicken on both sides (about 4 minutes each side); transfer to plate
2. To same skillet add mushrooms, onions and garlic and sauté until mushrooms lose moisture and onions are tender; stir in parlsey
3. On floured surface, roll out each sheet to a 14” square and cut into fourths
4. Mix softened cream cheese and mustard
5. Place chicken on square and top with about 1 T of cream cheese mixture; top with about 2-3 T of mushroom mixture
6. Brush edges of pastry with water; wrap around chick and press edges to seal; place seam side down on greased cookie sheet and brush with egg
7. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 for about 20 minutes or until golden brown
8. Serve with sauce
9. Sauce: sauté mushrooms in butter until moisture is gone and starting to brown; set aside
10. In a saucepan, cook butter and flour over med-high heat whisking constantly until it turns a light golden color (about 6 minutes)
11. Whisk in stock and wine and stir until thickens
12. Lower heat and simmer about 5-0 minutes; add in cream and then season with S&P.