Tonight I made a dish that we had on Christmas Eve.
Start by thawing the scallops – I bought these frozen from the Crab Deck (near WalGreens south).
Add the scallops to this mixture of melted butter, garlic, shallots and sherry:
Put scallops in shallow baking dish and the season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. I like using fresh nutmeg. I’m not sure if you can buy it here: I bought this at Penzey’s located in the cities:
Have you ever had a recipe that uses “fresh” bread crumbs? I used to skip those recipes because I didn’t know to make them. But after doing some searching, I found you can make them in a food processor. Start with any kind of bread that is at least a day old, tear into pieces, and pulse until it resembles small crumbs:
Next mix butter and bread crumbs and put on top of scallops…don’t mix too long or you get a gooey, clumpy mess… just enough to moisten the crumbs.
Bake for about 10 minutes and you may want to broil a couple minutes until the crumbs brown up. Mine were not too brown but still tasted fine:
Dinner is served – we gave this one 4 stars!
Baked Sea Scallops
Prep Time to Table: 25 minutes
-12 large sea scallops, rinsed, drained and patted
dry and sliced in half
-2 cloves minced garlic
-1 shallot chopped
-3 pinches of nutmeg
– 2 Tbl melted butter -salt and pepper to taste
– 1 ounce sherry
– 4 Tbl melted butter
– 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees
2. Place scallops, 2 Tbl melted butter, sherry, garlic, and shallots in bowl and toss gently.
3. Place in shallow casserole dish. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
4. Combine 4 Tbl melted butter and crumbs in a separate bowl the pour over scallops.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until done. You may want to put under broiler for a couple minutes to brown crumbs.
Notes: You may add chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges if desired