Since I am trying to eat better this week (and you are too, right? If not, just pretend you are to make me feel good!), today I'm sharing this Asian Quinoa Salad. It's packed with fresh veggies, a creamy peanut butter dressing and some sweet mandarin oranges. It's good for you with tons of flavor!
Are you a fan of quinoa? I first discovered it last year, after seeing so many recipes out there, that I needed to give it a try for myself. I really liked how versatile it is! You can replace noodles in soup, use it instead of rice for a stir fry or make some yummy salads.
Asian Quinoa Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield about 4 1/2 cups
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup snow peas (cut into small diagonal pieces)
- 1/4 cup carrots cut into 1" matchsticks
- 1/2 cup red pepper cut into 1" matchsticks
- 1 can (11 oz) mandarin oranges well drained
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/8 cup sliced greens onions
- 2 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tbl rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbl honey
- 3 tbls soy sauce
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp sriracha sauce (or a couple drops tabasco sauce)
- Prepare quinoa as directed to make 3 cups cooked then drain well and set aside to cool
- While cooking, combine the red pepper, carrots, onions, oranges, peanuts and snow peas in a large bowl
- To make dressing combine in a small food processor the fresh ginger, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, soy sauce, peanut butter and sriracha
- Process until smooth
- Add about half the dressing to the quinoa and mix well then add to the vegetable mixture adding more dressing as desired
- Eat immediately or refrigerate until needed
Powered by Recipage
I ate this as is - a nice veggie grain salad. However, I think you all now by now that the DIY Guy likes meat with his meals. So go ahead and add some cooked chicken or shrimp to make this a bit heartier and maybe keep your other half happy!
I especially liked the dressing and felt that could be used for a dipping sauce. We have a bit leftover that I'm going to try with chicken strips.
If you are looking for another recipe with quinoa, check out this salad with Roasted Beets and Arugula