This past week the area I work in had a mini muffin contest as a fundraiser for United Way. I eagerly signed up to help out - it was for a good cause. There were about 7 bakers and we were required to all make something different. Besides these Lemon Poppy Seed muffins, we had orange, apple crumble, blueberry, pumpkin, chocolate chip and a savory one with ham. People made a good will offering, sample them and then voted on a winner. One of my co-workers won with her apple crumble muffins - they were great!
We made about $275 and everyone enjoyed the event.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Ingredients (48 mini muffins)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- lemon curd
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line mini muffins pans with small cupcake papers.
2. Mix well the sugar and lemon zest - really rubbing it together.
3. In a large bowl combine the sugar mixture, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract, and butter.
5. With a spatula mix the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture. When almost all combined, add in the poppy seeds.
6. Fill mini cups 1/2 full then add a small dollop of lemon curd, top with more batter until cup is 3/4 full. Bake for 12 minutes and let cool on wire rack.
7. Making glaze by combining powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over muffins.
Powered by Recipage
Beside this fundraiser, we will be having a fall bazaar.
At the fall bazaar, my administrator and I will raffle off a dinner that will be made and served at my house. Last year the dinner went for $200! Click on this link to see the complete meal we made. I'm looking forward to seeing what the bids will be this year!
Another muffin recipe you might like - Blueberry Lemon