Happy start of the week - well, at least I hope it will be with these festive bars! I'm sure many of you are huge candy corn lovers - I must confess that I'm not a fan of the candies - you are probably thinking "what's wrong with her?" I really don't have a solid reason for not being a fan (maybe a bit too sugary) BUT I do like these bars that look like candy corn (they are orange flavored).
With Halloween around the corner, you might want to whip up a batch of these!
Candy Corn Bars
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Adapted from: Pillsbury
Ingredients (32 bars)
- 3/4 cup butter melted, slightly cooled
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 drops yellow food color
- 3 drops red food color
- 1/2 cups soft butter
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tsp vanilla (I used clear)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- - candy corns for decorations
1. Preheat over to 325. Use a 9" square pan that is lined with foil - leaving 2" extra on each side. Spray with PAM.
2. Beat the melted butter, sugar and orange peel with a wooden spoon until mixed well. Beat by hand one egg at a time. Combine the flour and baking powder then add to butter mixture, mixing until just combined. Stir in yellow food coloring and mix well. Take out 1 1/2 cups of batter and spread in pan and freeze for 15 minutes.
3. Add red food coloring to remaining batter then spread over chilled batter.
4. Bake until toothpick comes out clean - about 45 minutes. Cool completely.
5. Frosting - beat the soft butter until fluffy then add powered sugar until well blended. Beat in milk, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Frost bars then remove from pan using foil handles.
6. Cut into 16 squares then cut each on a diagonal - top each with candy corn.
Powered by Recipage
Today these bars are making their way to the DIY Guy's work place to share with his co-workers. While I enjoy baking the treats - I can't eat all the treats!!