Today is the SPIKED! Recipe Challenge reveal day with the secret ingredient of craft beer. An interesting ingredient indeed!
Now I know I could have went to the store and found something that was considered a 'craft' beer but instead I phoned a friend because I knew her husband did some brewing. Luckily they were happen to contribute to my cause and only requested that I return (the empty) bottles.
I was given 3 to choose from:
I wasn't sure which one to go with so after deciding to make this soup, I felt the Alt beer was the best choice (I knew stout was more of a guinness and the red was - well - red).
I was really pleased with the results - you could definitely taste the beer but it wasn't too overpowering. Great topped with popcorn too!
Beer Cheese Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/2 diced carrots
- 1 Tbl butter
- 1 tsp minced shallots
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbl butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 12 oz pale ale beer
- 1 can (15 oz) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp stone ground mustard
- 1 ½ Tbl Worcestershire sauce
- 6 oz cheddar cheese grated
- 2 oz smoked gouda cheese grated
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1. In a large skillet cook the bacon until crisp then set aside on paper towels
2. Add 1Tbl butter to the skillet and sauté the celery, carrots and onions until tender (about 10 minutes) and do not let brown. Add shallots and thyme and stir for 1 minute
3. Add remaining 2 Tbls of butter and after it melts and bubbles, sprinkle the flour on top – let it cook for about 2 minutes until it is golden brown. Add the beer, chicken broth, crumbled bacon and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and process mixture in blender on puree until desired consistency. While blade is running add mustard, Worcestershire sauce and heavy cream (I heat in microware 45 seconds prior)
5. Return to a large saucepot – add cheeses, cayenne pepper and S&P to taste.
Powered by Recipage
Be sure to stop by to see Julie and Carrie during the day to see what other recipes will be linked up. This was a fun challenge (as they always are!) and I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone made.
A special thanks to Ted for providing the ingredient for me! It was very appreciated!!
You also might enjoy this Tomato Tortellini Soup recipe