Tonight I have for you a comfort style dish - I love macaroni and cheese type dishes. I'm always on the lookout for a new one to try. There are so many ingredients to experiment with. While this is not exactly my own creation (I tweaked it a bit), I was excited to make it because it has pickled jalapeno peppers and Peter Piper picked a peck of them (say that 3 times fast!). Those added quite a zing and brought it to a whole new level. The original recipe called for regular bread crumbs but I substituted panko - they are so crispy and light.
The DIY Guy really enjoyed this dish too - I think I saw him go back for thirds! I don't think I would change a thing from my version - if you wanted some protein, add some cooked chicken.
Two Pepper Pasta
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 16 oz penne pasta (or rigatoni)
- 3 T butter
- 1 large red pepper chopped
- 3 T flour
- 3 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 T minced pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup panko crumbs
1. Preheat your oven to 375.
2. Cook the pasta and drain well
3. In a large saucepan, melt 1T butter over medium heat. Add the red pepper and sauté for 5 minutes then add to the pasta
4. To make sauce: melt 1T butter then add flour to combine. Stir milk in gradually whisking until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Remove from heat then add the cheeses – mix until smooth. Stir in jalapeno, green onions and S&P
5. Spray a 9x13 pan then add mixture.
6. Melt 1 T butter and mix with the panko crumbs and place on top. Bake for 20 minutes – if you would like the crumbs darker, place under broiler for a bit.
Powered by Recipage
I hope you like my dish and give it a try!