Thursday, August 2, 2012
Summer Squash Soup
But if you have many to use up, here is a great summer soup recipe that can help and also contains fresh herbs - those I do grow and love. I had no idea how this soup would turn out. It seemed like it could be kind of blah but due do what I'm calling the secret ingredient of parmesan cheese, it was quite tasty. If my man goes back for seconds on a meal that doesn't contain meat, then you know is has to be good!
Recipe Source: Cooking Light
I used my mandoline to finely shred the squash.... hmmm, these look like Packer colors - my son-in-law will be thrilled!
Grab your spoon!
Summer Squash Soup Serves: 4 Calories: 269 Prep Time to Table: 20 minutes
Recipe : Cooking Light August 2004
1. 6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2. 3 cups water
3. 2 1/4 cups uncooked farfalle (about 6 ounces bow tie pasta)
4. 2 cups finely chopped yellow squash
5. 2 cups finely chopped zucchini
6. 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
7. 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
8. 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
9. 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
10. 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
11. 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12. 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
13. 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
Preparation: Bring broth and water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add pasta, and cook 8 minutes or until almost tender. Add squash and the next 7 ingredients (through pepper). Reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes or until pasta is done and squash is tender. Sprinkle with cheese and basil.