Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Minnesota Wild Rice Apricot Salad
Recipe Source: Midwest Living June 2003
This recipe caught my eye because it had wild rice and living in Minnesota, well, it was a no brainer. This cold salad has a light dressing and colorful with dried apricots, red peppers and green onions. Doesn't it look fresh and inviting??
It was delicious and went well with the sausage and peppers we grilled out for dinner.
Hmmmm... what to make next?? Stay tuned!
Minnesota Apricot Wild Rice Salad Serves: 8 Calories: 189 Prep Time to Table: 20 minutes plus 4 hours chilling time
recipe : Midwest Living
1. 1 1/4 cups (8 ounces) uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
2. 3 cups chicken broth or water
3. 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
4. 1/3 cup dried apricots, cut into thin strips
5. 1/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper
6. 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
7. 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
8. 2 tablespoons orange juice
9. 2 teaspoons honey
10. 1/4 cup olive oil
11. Salt and ground black pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, place wild rice. Add chicken broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 40 to 45 minutes or until rice is tender; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Add green onions, apricots, sweet pepper, and cilantro; stir to combine.
2. For Dressing: In a small bowl, stir together vinegar, orange juice, and honey. Using a wire whisk, slowly whisk in oil. Pour dressing over rice mixture; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper. Cover; chill at least 4 hours before serving. Store, covered, in refrigerator up to 4 days. Makes 8 side-dish servings.