Sunday, July 17, 2011
The Zucchini are Coming,The Zucchini are Coming!
Quick pull out your 1001 ways to deal with zucchini! Our first one appeared this week and where there is one, you know there will be many more right behind it. Sometimes is it hard to keep up with them - in fact, did you ever find one in your garden that looks like a baseball bat that you overlooked?
So in honor of the first one, I made this new dish I found at Food Network magazine (click here)
The tomatoes are awesome - a little spendier but worth it!
Start by sauteing crushed red pepper and garlic in olive oil
When garlic is happy and golden, add the tomatoes that are hand crushed. I'm not sure why the hand crushing is important but it is!
Once the sauce thickens, add in your zucchini
Meanwhile prepare your pasta and get the basil ready
Toss it all together and add some parmesan cheese and yum... your first zucchini is used up. Now what to do with the other 1000!!
John gave this a strong 4 stars...
Pasta with Zucchini-Tomato Sauce Serves: 4 Calories: 351 Prep Time to Table: 40 minutes
Recipe : Food Network May 2011
-3 tbls olive oil
-1 clove minced garlic
-1/4 crushed red pepper
-28 oz can whole San Marzano tomatoes
-1 medium zucchini cut into small chunks
-1/2 lb spaghetti
-1/4 cup chopped fresh basil -grated parmesan cheese
1. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and red pepper until garlic is just golden (about 1 minute)
2. Crush the tomatoes by hand and add to skillet and add the juice. Cook uncovered for about 15 minutes until thickened. Add salt to taste
3. Add zucchini and cook about 5 minutes until crisp tender
4. Prepare spaghetti and when done add zucchini mixture to pasta along with pasta and toss
5. Serve with parmesan cheese Notes: I added ½ tsp crushed red pepper for a slightly spicier taste.