Monday, July 4, 2011
Happy Fourth of July...
We had some friends over last night and made this quick and easy patriotic dessert adapted from Taste of Home
It all starts with frozen raspberries that are thawed and pressed through a fine sieve to collect the juice
The juice is added to sugar and cornstarch and cooked until thickened and then chilled. It is then mixed with Cool Whip and piped into glasses with some angel cake cubes cut on the bottom.
To serve - add some fruit and a raspberry sauce (made with some of the juice mixture)
This was a hit and given 4+ stars I'm also thinking that this could be adapted to use with strawberries or blueberries.
Every year I plant a red, white and blue container... here is this year's.
Raspberry Mousse Parfaits Serves: 4 Calories: 145 Prep Time to Table: 20 minutes plus chilling time
Recipe : adapted from Taste of Home
-1 ¾ cups frozen raspberries, thawed
-3 tbls sugar
-2 tsp cornstarch
-1 tsp orange juice
-1 tsp orange flavored liquor
-1 1/3 cups whipped topping (i.e. cool whip)
-12 cubes angel food cake
1. Press raspberries through a fine mesh strainer and then discard seeds and pulp
2. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and stir in raspberry juice
3. Bring to boil and cook and stir constantly for 2 minutes or until thickened (medium heat)
4. Refrigerate until chilled
5. Divide raspberry mixture in half – stir orange juice and liquor in one portion and set aside
6. With remaining mixture add whipped topping and stir until combined
7. Place angel food cake into 4 small glasses, add about a tbl sauce mixture and top with ¼ of raspberry-whipped cream mixture
8. Refrigerate until serving time
Notes: I doubled and made 6 desserts