Fry the sausage
Add the chopped garlic, crushed tomatoes and S&P
When it is done simmering 10 minutes, add roasted red peppers and basil (Target was out of fresh basil and yes, John reminded me that Target is not a real grocery store so luckily I had these frozen basil cubes from Trader Joe's and 10 of them worked just fine)
Make the white sauce next
Nutmeg is also used and I love using and the smell of grating your own.
Assembly time- be sure to save about a cup of red sauce to put on the top layer
Red sauce, then white sauce then the parmesan cheese - I did not have grated so I used shaved cheese
Assembly complete and ready for the oven
Dinner is done and John rated it 4.5 stars! (and now we leftovers for later this week!)
Recipe : adapted from BH&G
-12 oz. bulk Italian sausage
-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
-2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ salt
-1 cup bottled roasted red peppers cut into thin strips
- ½ cup snipped fresh basil or 10 frozen cubes from Trader Joes
-1/3 cup butter
-1/3 cup flour
- ½ tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
-3 cups milk
-15 no boil lasagna noodles
-1 ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded (5 oz.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9x13 pan
2. Meat sauce: brown sausage and add tomatoes, garlic and S&P. Bring to boil, simmer and cover for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add in peppers and basil – set aside.
3. White sauce: melt butter over medium heat, stir in flour, nutmeg and salt. Gradually stir in milk and stir constantly until thickened and bubbly.
4. Assemble: arrange 3 noodles in pan. Top with about 1 cup of red sauce, ¾ cup white sauce and ¼ cup parmesan cheese. Repeat layering 3 more times – make sure to save about 1 cup of sauce to completely cover the last layer of noodles.
5. Cover and bake for 40 minutes, remove cover and bake additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cover for 15 minutes before serving.