Tonight's meal was inspired by a recipe in Real Simple magazine. This tasted really fresh with zested lemon and spinach.
Preparing the veggies
Next - lemon zest...I love this smell...reminds me of summer!
Saute the leeks followed by mushrooms, the wine, shrimp and lemon
John gave this 4 stars! It will definitely be in the rotation. Note: The recipe calls for baby spinach but of course Target was out - so I had to use regular - it tasted fine but I would have chopped it up a bit first.
Pasta with Shrimp, Leeks, and Spinach Serves: 2-3 Calories: NA Prep Time to Table: 30 minutes Recipe : adapted from Real Simple
-6 oz. pasta (small like penne)
-1 tbl butter
-1 leek cut in half and sliced (white and light green parts only)
-6 oz. sliced baby bella mushrooms
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ lb peeled and deveined shrimp
- ½ lemon zested
- ½ cup heavy cream
-5 ozs. Baby spinach
1. Cook pasta; drain and return to pot
2. Meanwhile heat butter and cook leeks for 4 minutes; add mushrooms and cook an additional 3 minutes
3. Add wine and cook until it almost evaporates
4. Add shrimp and lemon zest and toss frequently for about 4-5 minutes (til done)
5. Add cream, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp fresh pepper to pasta and cook over medium heat until slightly thickened about 1-2 minutes (stir constantly)
6. Add shrimp mixture and spinach to pot and toss to combine Notes: baby spinach is best; regular spinach is a little too tough