Beef Barley Soup Serves: 8 Calories: N.A. Prep Time to Table: 90 minutes
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat; 1” cubes
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbl tomato paste
- 1 cube beef bouillion
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 ounces red wine (optional)
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
1. In dutch oven or soup pot, brown meat in oil and cook until most liquid evaporates on medium-high heat (about 15 minutes)
2. Add water, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon, seasonings and wine.
3. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 50 minutes.
4. Stir in barley and simmer an additional 15 minutes
Notes: if doubled, you will need to remove some of the liquid in step one. You could also add more veggies if desired.