Tonight we had leftovers from Saturday - Mexican Chicken Casserole. The first night we gave it 3 stars but found it tastes better after it sits a day or 2... so now it is 3.5 stars!
Mexican Chicken Casserole
Prep Time to Table: 60 minutes
Recipe : Adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
-2 (4.5 ounce) cans chopped green chiles, divided
-28 ounces boneless chicken breasts
-2 teaspoons olive oil
-1 cup chopped onion
-1 cup evaporated 2% milk
-1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack Cheese
-½ cup tub-style light cream cheese
-1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
-12 (6”) corn tortillas
-½ cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
-12 crushed tortilla chips
1. Combine broth and 1 can of chiles in large skillet; bring to boil. Add chicken. reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once. Remove chicken, reserve liquid and cool chicken; shredding with forks when cool and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
3. Heat oil in large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 can chiles and onion; saute about 3 minutes. Add reserved liquid, milk, cheese, cream cheese and enchilada sauce. Stir in shredded chicken and stir well. Stir in shredded chicken and cook 2 minutes.
4. Spray a 2 quart casserole with cooking spray. Add 4 tortillas, spoon 2 cups of mixture over tortillas. Repeat layers twice, ending with chicken. Sprinkle cheddar cheese and crushed chips. Bake for 30 minutes and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Notes: We thought this tasted better a day later. We served with taco sauce and sour cream.